Saturday, May 1, 2010

the illusionist

I'm currently reading "Traveling Mercies" by Anne Lamott, and I just read a couple of sentences that really made me stop, think and re-read. She wrote:

A fixation can keep you nicely defined and give you the illusion that your life has not fallen apart. But since your life may indeed have fallen apart, the illusion won't hold up forever, and if you are lucky and brave, you will be willing to bear disillusion. 

Ugh....how true this is...and hard to live out (to bear disillusion)! I know that when I've been faced with difficult circumstances, I've shifted my focus to something that is more "manageable"....which is ironic considering the notion that I'm actually in control of any situation is a mere illusion in itself.

Oh, that I may be lucky and brave!

No comments:

Post a Comment