Monday, August 11, 2008

olympic mania

These past few days, I've basically been caught up in my tunnel-vision fascination with the Olympics. I LOVE these games...from watching Greg Louganis' dive and the controversy that followed, to wishing that I could skate like Oksana Baiul, to my crush on gymnast Blaine Wilson...I've just been mesmerized by these games and the athletes. My excitement has been building since March, which is when Meagan and I decided to see how much it would cost to go to an event in Beijing (since we each have the lifetime goal of seeing an Olympic event in person).  This sparked numerous investigations into the Winter Olympics which will take place in Vancouver of 2010 (much more feasible, right?). To offset the costs, we contemplated getting jobs with the Vancouver Organizing Committee....but the only job that we might be qualified to apply for is that of a Zamboni driver, plus we would have to start this fall. However, with the recent revelation that I might be able to afford tickets to the events (thanks to info at this site), our hair-brained work strategy is no longer necessary. I'm thrilled of the prospect of actually going to see an event in person, and I don't even care what event it is.

Holly and I pondered what it must be like to be the best in the world at something. I mean, really....what must that feel like? Especially for the young athletes...I mean, now much less at 16,I can't comprehend the mental and emotional magnitude of these events. Plus, if you win a gold medal when you're 16, where do you go from that point? Do you keep chasing your own records? Do you lose any motivation because you've already achieved the highest honor? Do you move onto something new....even after all the time, money, etc that you've invested into this one goal?

I literally cannot imagine being the absolute best in the WORLD at one particular thing. Holly and I kept trying to come up with a sport (made up or real) that we could train to be the best at. One of my favorite suggestions was when Holly said that she could be the best curler...hair curler that is (she held up her curling iron to emphasis the point). We also came up with most quotable, best sarcastic commentary, along with actual sports such as table tennis (which we think might be our best shot), or equestrian (which Meagan thinks could be my claim to fame). In our quest to find our "in"  through one of the random sports of the Olympics, we learned that tug-of-war used to be in the Olympic games...I think we should petition to get it back in the picture!

PS - new playlist entitled "Pick up the Receiver" over on the right side of my page...you should be able to check out one of my favorite tracks here (click on the box on the top right of the page).

3 comments:

  1. LOGGINS AND MESSINA!!!!!! WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!! I always crank this song when it comes on:) LOVE the playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Really weird, but I've recently downloaded TONS of Sam Cooke...yet another of the reasons we were destined to be friends...we like the same music at the same time without even talking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are a few more Olympic game ideas...
    kickball, hopscotch, hula hoop, and coin toss.

    ReplyDelete