Monday, August 25, 2008

turning three cubed...

Ok....so my 27th birthday is quickly approaching...and I'm not really in a celebratory mood this year. In order to get out of my birthday blues, I decided to research the number 27...which led me to dig through info regarding my birth year (1981) and day (September 2). Here's what I found:



















notable facts about the number 27:
  • Twenty-seven is the smallest positive integer requiring four syllables to name in English, though it can be unambiguously defined in just two: "three cubed." Twenty-seven is a perfect cube, being 3 to the third = 3 x 3 x 3. 27 is therefore the second smallest cube of a prime number. ( I plan to think of myself as a 3 year-old cubed...)
  • There are a total of 27 books in the New Testament. (which, of course, makes the number holy.)
  • Uranus has 27 moons. (no comment.)
  • The number of completed, numbered piano concertos by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; and his birthday (27 January 1756).
  • The age in years at which many famous and supremely talented rock/blues musicians died, often referred to as the 27 Club. These include:
-Brian Jones
-Janis Joplin
-Jim Morrison
-Jimi Hendrix
-Kurt Cobain

(No need to worry about me joining this club...I'm not a famous, talented musician...and I definitely don't have a drug problem.)

tidbits about the year 1981:
  • MTV was launched on Aug. 1
  • Simon & Garfunkel reunited for a free concert in Central Park
  • Researchers found the wreck of the Titanic in the North Atlantic
  • Post It Notes were launched by 3M Corp
  • 1981 in Music
  • Crimes of the Heart won a Pulitzer Prize... (I played 'Babe' in this play when I was in high school....if you read the synopsis, you'll get an idea of how sketchy my role was.
  • Popular Films of 1981:
-Raiders of the Lost Ark
         -Superman II
         -9 to 5
         -Chariots of Fire

and September 2nd:
  • On September 2, 1935, George Gershwin signed his name to the completed orchestral score of the opera Porgy and Bess. The composer called the 700-page score his masterpiece and never ceased to marvel that he had created it. Many critics consider Porgy and Bess to be the first and finest American opera.
  • On this day...September 2

To top things off, I made a special birthday mix....since music always gets me excited. Check out "twenty-seven is heaven" over on the right...it's a mix of 28 (27 + 1 to grow on) songs and artists that I love! :)

1 comment:

  1. 1. Exactly one month away! Yea!

    2. I'm not excited about 27, either. For some reason, this is the first time I've ever felt any kind of trepidation about turning another year older...blegh.

    3. I like that you included all the facts. And that you included Andrew Bird on your new playlist. I drafted out a post on Friday night with a 16 hour playlist included (yeah, it'll be a long (but hopefully helpful) post) but couldn't get a wireless signal :(. I hope to post it tonight!

    I'm definitely looking forward to belatedly celebrating your birthday with you when I come :)

    ReplyDelete