Thursday, September 11, 2008

hip to be square

I think it's my restless nature kicking in, but I've been looking for ways to get involved/grow/learn/etc so that I'm not just going to work and doing the same old routine. I love the academic setting, but I'm not ready to commit to anything serious (ie. pursuing my masters)...so instead I recently started looking into the Informal Classes that UT offers. They have a fairly extensive catalog of courses to choose from...and, thanks to my erratic interests, I was fairly overwhelmed by all my options. Feel free to check it all out here.
Here are all of the classes that appealed to me...some slightly more legit choices than others...
Basic Pistol I - this is essentially what I already learned at Ladies' Night at Red's Shooting Range.
Hang Gliding - but alas I am too chicken....maybe one day...
Breakdancing - dang all the reality TV dance shows that make me think I could do this.
Intro to Street Jazz - curious as to what constitutes "street" jazz...I have visions of West Side Story.
Oil Painting - this is the only way I will get back into painting regularly...but it is also one of the most costly options...will have to wait for the summer.
How to Write a Comic Book Strip - my brothers used to make me do this all the time; might as well put my talents to use.
Writing Your First Book - they make it sound so simple.
How to Become a Private Eye 101 - umm...seriously considering this one-day seminar; and now, as if it wasn't bad enough that I am already in a Hall & Oates phase, I have the song Private Eyes permanently stuck in my head. 

These classes caught my eye, but only because I'm highly skeptical of the course content...
Write a Book in 3 Weeks - is this something that can really be taught?
Forgiveness Made Easy - refer to previous question. the "made easy" part is what I question.
Meditating with the Angels - really? it's sad that someone is going to make money for teaching this class...and even sadder that someone will pay to take this class.

I actually signed up to take the following two classes...
Texas Wine & Cheese - I mean, how could I pass a class up that involved wine and cheese?!
Personal Expression in Photography - keeping my fingers crossed that I will get in...out of college, but still subjected to being on a wait list for the class that I want!


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the new layout. I also think you should be a private eye. If nothing else, it would be a good entry for your blog. Everything I do, I do it for... my blog. You should too.

    ReplyDelete