Monday, September 29, 2008

Textual Healing: My ACL Recap 2008


Let's cover the basics of this year's festival:

Who I saw:
What Made Milwaukee Famous - great way to start the weekend.
Vampire Weekend - apparently it wasn't a memorable performance b/c I keep forgetting that I saw them
Jamie Lidell - AMAZING...his performance was an unexpected surprise
Patty Griffin - beautiful as always...
Gogol Bordello - start wearing purple, wearing purple....loved the "lion king"
David Byrne - Yay for the dancers :)
The Swell Season - good, but definitely made me realize how tired I was
Fleet Foxes - nice way to kick off day two
The Fratelllis - eh
The Lee Boys - fun times
Eli Paperboy Reed & the True Loves - even more fun times
MGMT - another band that I keep forgetting that I saw, but I think I'm mentally blocking that crowd experience...seriously, Jen even texted that therapy may be required, and I concurred
John Fogerty -  I LOVED THIS SHOW....my fav performance, hands down! Plus he rocks a plaid pearl snap & bandana like no other...
The Black Keys - sounded awesome...I was camped out for the next show though
Allison Krauss & Robert Plant - loved that they sang "Black Dog"
Beck - enjoyable
Stars - surprisingly energetic beginning of day three
Blues Traveler - pretty much what I expected
The Raconteurs - good
Band of Horses - great show, as anticipated
Foo Fighters - sounded great, for what I heard of it

**Kevin Fowler - didn't really watch him, but he earned major cool points with me for playing "Sweet Emotion" and "Fat Bottomed Girls" which we heard on our way out....

"Loves" of this year's festival:
1. Jen came! Plus all of the other wonderful friends I spent time with.
2. The additional beverage options....especially the addition of Vitamin Water.
3. My preparedness....although my bag was heavy, I liked having everything I needed!
4. The little booklets instead of just pamphlets for the schedule....loved the book!
5. The fabric wristbands....awesome!

"Dislikes"....
1. The ever-growing mob of people.
2. The "dust/weed" fog that encompassed the entire area.
3. Thieving kids...one girl walked by talking about she just stole 5 pairs of sunglasses from on of the vendors...not cool, my dear....not cool.
4. My poor timing with my camera...I was like 10 feet away from Dave Grohl at one point...plus me and Jen think we were sitting next to the band members of Flyleaf pre-Jamie Lidell (if so, we are concerned about a few of their habits).
5. The two hour delay on texts....which I find ironic considering that AT&T is my carrier, and they are one of the big sponsors of the event. Blake commented that I might need "textual healing" after my weekend...and I agreed that it would be necessary. 

Overall, it was a wonderful festival experience. I had a blast listening to great tunes with great people. It's a little sad that it's already over, but  I must confess that it will be nice not to be out in the heat covered in grime with a questionable fog surrounding me at all times.

PS - Jen sat across the aisle from Allison Krauss on her flight home!

2 comments:

  1. You get one million eProps for this post :)

    The picture still makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "fog" has almost cleared my (Blake's) brain. Sadly, many brain cells were unintentionally sacrificed this weekend. I couldn't find simple words today, but I could find close-sounding words - deliberate instead of delegate, for example.

    There are reasons I don't do things others choose to indulge in. I need all my brain cells.

    ReplyDelete