Sunday, March 22, 2009

sxsw (+more) recap

bands i saw:
anathallo*
samantha crain & the midnight shivers**
amanda palmer
port o'brien**
loney dear*
m. ward*
beach house**
efterklang**
alela diane
coupleskate
we have band**
women
hatcham social
tinted windows
*performances i enjoyed
**new discoveries I really liked

best phone convo:
jh: soooo....you like women?
me: (dramatic pause)....ummm.....you mean the band???
[lots of laughter]
jh: yes, yes!...definitely meant the band, women.
me: then yes, I do like women (the band, that is).
[this was before I saw them in person....after seeing them live....eh]

textually challenged:
me: seen kanye?
la: yes I have why? 
la: oh not at sxsw I thought u meant before

me: seen kanye?
ad: we are on the hunt!!!
ad: okaybwe gotnwoed from the bar tender!!!! kanye fir sure!!!
[still slightly lost in translation]

me: seen kanye?
jh: seen elton?

this texting-convo has nothing to do with sxsw (other than it happened during the same time period), but I thought it was a funny:
jm: coffee in the crotch is not nearly as funny as on tv!
me: oh no! haha...ouch...I bet that's pretty painful...aim for your mouth next time! ;)
jm: i figured i'd be more alert if I took it in the crotch. :)

billy joel & elton john [face to face] set list:
your song (duet)
honesty (duet)
don't let the sun go down on me (duet)
my life (duet)
saturday night's alright (ej)
burn down the mission (ej)
tiny dancer (ej)
goodbye yellow brick road (ej) - one of my all time favorites by sir elton
i guess that's why the call it the blues (ej) - my favorite elton solo
daniel (ej)
rocket man (ej) - GREAT
levon (ej)
i'm still standing (ej)
crocodile rock (ej) - shocked that he played this
angry young man (bj)
moving out (bj)
allentown (bj) - surprisingly probably one of my favorites to hear live by billy
the ballad of billy the kid (bj)
zanizbar (bj)
don't ask me why (bj)
she's always a women (bj) - so, so good
scenes from an italian restaurant (bj)
river of dreams (bj)
we didn't start the fire (bj)
uptown girl (bj) - I was pleasantly surprised that he played this
still rock & roll to me (bj) - I LOVED that he played guitar for this one
only the good die young (bj)
the bitch is back (duet)
you may be right (duet)
bennie & the jets (duet) - my favorite duet of the night 
birthday - beatles cover (duet)
back in the ussr - beatles cover (duet)
candle in the wind - original version (duet)
piano man (duet)

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that Allentown is my favorite Billy Joel song EVERY? I ADORE it...and my fave Elton song is I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues, so I totally would have won at that show. Except that I lost. Because I wasn't there. Awww....fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote Every instead of Ever. Fail. :(.

    ReplyDelete